Sunday, March 22, 2009

Welcome to the Women's Guide to Sports!

I have alway been a tomboy. I followed my dad around like a puppy and learned all about "guy stuff". When I was young, instead of dolls, tea parties or frilly dresses, I preferred cowboys and indians, climbing trees and fixing things around the house. I have always been a very independent chick and I have always been a sports fan.

When I grew older, I made the effort to move away from my tomboy ways and tried to be more feminine. I still wasn't the epitomy of the girly-girl, but I seriously tried to be more like other girls. I succeeded for many years and truly moved away from my tomboy roots. But then along came a man who swept me off my feet - a man who happens to be a sportscaster! Finally, I found my soul-mate! My husband, Mark, a former radio sportcaster, has served Gwinnett County for over 10 years as the host of The Coaches Corner which features local teams, coaches and highlights of games.

As the wife of the local "sports guy", I have had the opportunity to watch and record high school sports on almost a daily basis. We are constantly filming football, basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, etc. When we are not documenting local high school games, we spend much of our time at home watching ESPN, Sportscenter, and our local sports teams, the Atlanta Falcons, Braves and Hawks. So, most of my life now is spent in the world of sports. In our home, we eat, sleep, dream and breathe sports.

So, I started thinking that this life I am so fortunate to be living has given me a unique pespective. I am a woman who understands and enjoys sports! I know, that is rare, but that's where I can help you. I see sports from a woman's point of view. I want to give you what I have learned so that you can understand and maybe even enjoy time with your man while he is watching sports. You might even surprise him that you know what is happening on the field before he has to explain it to you. Believe me, guys will love it that you share their interests. But be careful not to act like you know more than they do. Give them some room to teach you a few things so that they still feel needed....

No comments:

Post a Comment